Five Year Strategic Plan for Academic Affairs FY 2008 – FY 2013
Academic Program Quality Enhancement and Growth:
- Degree Programs: Continue to enhance quality of curriculum and increase the number of faculty to keep up with the growth of all current academic programs: TCOM, PA, GSBS, SPH and SHP and initiate steps to add academic programs in Master’s in Health Administration (SPH), PhD programs in public health starting with Biostatistics and Epidemiology (SPH), Physical Therapy (SHP), Occupational Therapy (SHP).
- Explore academic and research collaborations with UNT, UNT Dallas and other institutions
- Initiate discussions with THECB on establishing a program in Veterinary Medicine.
- Increase enrollment over the next five years in all programs by FY 2013 to 1989 students (includes PT and OT).
- Non-Degree Programs: Develop new and strengthen existing certificate education programs that meet the needs of health professionals and scientists for career development.
Enhance Academic Support and Academic Technology:
- Academic Information Services: Provide customized versions of evaluations and assessments for all academic programs. Take advantage of the evaluation systems developed for TCOM and expand to other schools. This includes real-time reporting and expanding services to health science center partners.
- Library: Optimally support all library needs for all schools with expanded electronic access to information. Participate in expanded needs for informatics courses needed for the 21st century health professionals and scientists. Create and maintain a partnership based environment with the internal and external professional communities. Create a student centric library for study area and group discussions.
- Student Affairs: Develop a comprehensive student support and academic enhancement program. Automate student service features through EIS software. Identify resources to initiate a student counseling center on campus. Provide faculty development resources through the Center for Academic Performance. Partner with Advancement to develop a spirit of giving for current students. Partner with each school to create a seamless electronic system for registration, evaluations and financial aid. In conjunction with ITS programmers, support efforts by the schools to maximize the efficiency of student recruitment, admissions and academic advising.
- Biomedical Communications: Provide up-to-date delivery of educational material to all school programs, e.g. streaming video and videoconferencing. Develop a training program to use distance education. Partner with Marketing to expand Graphic Arts capabilities and to provide support for increased demand from clinical, research and educational programs. Expand CETS staff to meet the increased growth of programs and courses throughout the institution.
- Information Technology Services: Hire new VP for IT and CIO. Plan for the expansion of the institution’s infrastructure to accommodate the physical space expansions and to address the needs of our regional sites, including expanded UNT Health needs. Evaluate and address the evolving systems, applications, operating systems and changes in system requirements due to aging infrastructure. Expand and update all website and web-based application development to accommodate local and distance collaborations. Expand IT customer support center to meet the needs of the growing UNTHSC campus. Implement iTunes University and provide necessary training for implementation. Implement a best practices records and information management lifecycle process.
- Professional and Continuing Education: Continue to work with commercial organizations, meeting ethical responsibilities, to sponsor the best continuing educational opportunities for our faculty, staff, students and alumni.
Enhance and Expand Faculty Development and Retention Activities:
- Faculty Development and Retention: Provide budget for faculty development activities in education and research. Provide bridge, start-up and seed funding for faculty research activities to enhance and establish research programs. Utilize the Faculty Development and Retention Committee to establish a faculty orientation program and a Faculty Handbook and charge the Bylaws Committee to update the Faculty Bylaws. Implement the comprehensive faculty profile data base and continually update the faculty evaluation system. Provide faculty incentive packages and review faculty salaries to be consistent with Texas HSCs and national averages.
Maximize Use of Educational and Research Facilities:
- Align use of educational and research facilities with institutional strategies
Content Manager: Chris.Mason@unthsc.edu
This page last updated May 12, 2011