UNT Health Science Center logo

Posted: April 10, 2013

TCOM celebrates National Osteopathic Medicine Week with seminars, public health screenings


2003_582218721801855_1574239891_n.jpg National Osteopathic Medicine (NOM) Week is April 14-20. NOM Week brings the osteopathic medical profession together to focus on one common goal - increasing awareness of osteopathic medicine and DOs in communities across the country. 

 

As part of NOM Week, the UNT Health Science Center will sponsor activities on campus each day at noon, ending with a Hepatitis B screening open to the community on Saturday, April 20, in the Atrium of the Everett Education and Administration Building from 8 a.m.-1 p.m.


So, What is a DO?

 America's 60,000 DOs (Doctors of Osteopathic Medicine) make up 8 percent of the total American physician population. The remaining 92 percent are MDs (Doctor of Medicine). But the balance is beginning to shift. Today, nearly 20 percent of students entering medical school choose osteopathic medicine, compared to just 5 percent nearly 30 years ago. And the recent emphasis on primary care in MD programs is promoting greater overlap between the two philosophies, proving that what's good for the patient is good for the entire profession of medicine.

Founded in 1970, the Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine (TCOM) has emerged as one of the nation's leading osteopathic medical schools. During this time, it has received both state and national recognition for its efforts to meet the demands of underserved populations and excellence in education. These honors include being named one of the top 50 U.S. medical schools for primary care each year since 2003.  Among the schools ranked, TCOM graduates the second highest number of primary care physicians in the nation and the most in Texas.

If you are with the media and need additional information or would like to arrange an interview,
please contact Jeff Carlton, Director of Media Relations, at 817-735-7630.

 

bottom frame