Posted: September 19, 2013
DO Dash: Community invited to 5k, Health Fair, games for kids, more
The public is invited to join UNT Health Science runners Oct. 12 for the family-friendly DO Dash 5K, Kids' 1-Mile, Health Fair and Silent Auction - all benefiting the Boys and Girls Club of Fort Worth, Panther Branch.
|First-year TCOM student Bailey Walker talked to |
students at Rosemont Elementary this week about how
events like the DO Dash are part of a healthy lifestyle.
- 5K Run - The walk/run event takes you through the Monticello neighborhood adjacent to the UNTHSC campus. Registration is $20 before Oct. 4 and $25 until the day of the race, which includes a "dri-fit" T-shirt and breakfast.
- 1-Mile Fun Run - Designed for kids; registration is free.
- Health Fair - Includes free blood-glucose checks, BMI evaluations, blood-pressure checks, bone-marrow registration, soft-tissue treatments and information on healthy lifestyles.
- Silent Auction - Items for bid include a one-month membership to Bikram Yoga, Fort Worth Bike Sharing memberships and a 10-person wine-tasting and tour from Times Ten Cellars.
- Children's Games - Bounce house, face painting, "nutrition" bingo, healthy snacks and vision screenings.
TCOM students have visited 11 nearby elementary schools inviting third- through fifth-graders to participate.
"We want to make the kids who live near here aware of this event and to get them thinking about health and fitness in general," said student Meagan Sims (TCOM '16).
The DO Dash, led each year by second-year medical students at UNTHSC's Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine, was founded in 2002 to encourage a healthy lifestyle through exercise and education. These are core principles of osteopathic medicine, which emphasizes disease prevention and treating the whole patient.
To register for the run or for more information, visit the DO Dash website.
If you are with the media and need additional information or would like to arrange an interview,
please contact Jeff Carlton, Director of Media Relations, at 817-735-7630.